What's been your Linux journey?

Zona del foro relacionado con software Linus en todas sus versiones y distribuciones. Podeis colocar preguntas temas de debates y demas...
aapn77
Recien Llegado
Recien Llegado
United States of America
What's been your Linux journey?

Mensaje por aapn77 » 24 Mar 2019, 23:21

I'm interested in hearing how you fine folks have found yourselves on Linux today.

Did you start on the server? Are a grizzled veteran from the 90's? Are you a recent MacOS refugee?

My path has been long and windy road. I first came to Linux around 2006 or 2007 after being wowed by videos of wiggly windows and cubed workspaces in Compiz Fusion. A couple years later I was off to college with my first laptop, a MacBook running Leopard. I was woo'd by the vast ecosystem of beautifully designed applications. I stuck around on a Mac for years. Although, over time, I became increasingly frustrated with Apple's treatment of OSX/MacOS, so in 2017 I jumped ship. During this time my fascination with tinkering was reignited and I ended up building a computer for the first time in roughly ten years. One thing led to another and here I am, back on Linux. It's amazing how far we've come in the last 10 years. I'm currently running Manjaro on my HiDPI Matebook X Pro. Enjoying touchscreen support and a much improved ecosystem of high quality software (particularly when it comes to video and graphics editing software).

TLDR: Linux was my highschool sweetheart and after years apart and seeing other people, we've reconnected and are happier than ever.
But enough about me, I want to hear about you.